The keto diet (ketogenic) is a new nutritional trend. The keto diet began to gain its most popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural foods according to the needs of the human body with the presence of fat and the lowest carbohydrate content.
The ketogenic diet is an updated version of a low-carb diet.
Keto Diet Principles
The main principle of a keto diet is low carb foods. A ketogenic diet is based on the processing of body fatty acids. The distribution of animal fat in the body with food without disturbing carbohydrates is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
A low carb keto diet is very popular with obesity among people who want to lose weight or stay in shape.
With minimal or complete lack of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs quickly, a person begins to lose weight. Fat begins to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then keto in the body.
Ketone bodies are fat breakdown products produced by the liver. With active energy consumption or prolonged fasting for energy, the body begins to break down its accumulated fat.
The breakdown of fat and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process in the human body. Ketogenesis does not cause drastic weight loss.
Peculiarities of the keto diet
A feature of the keto diet is the replacement of the supplied energy resources - carbohydrates - fats or rather decomposition products - ketone bodies. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new nutritional system. The maximum form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A distinctive feature of the keto diet from other diets of all types is its limited carbohydrate content, low protein content, and presence of fat. The daily intake of carbohydrates in food should not exceed 20 grams per day. For animal fat by-products, which are used by the body to produce energy, ketones should have a fat to protein to carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. The body needs a large amount of fat to maintain a normal metabolism. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should be from fat, the rest is carbohydrates and protein. The daily caloric intake of the products must not exceed 5000 kcal. Diet does not limit eating time, you can safely eat after 18 hours.
The less a person consumes high-carbohydrate foods, the more effectively the diet suppresses hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, then protein and finally carbohydrates. The peculiarity of this diet, unlike others, is that the intake of salt here is not limited, which restores the electrolyte balance.
Carbohydrate intake should be gradually reduced during the initial diet.
By following a strict keto diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 kilograms of weight in a month without harming their health and reduce the amount of adipose tissue.
Athletes are more likely to follow a cyclic ketogenic diet, burning fat, making their bodies more visible and gaining muscle mass. The reason for these changes is the transformation of the hormonal background and the increasing process of growth hormone formation. The principle of nutrition is strictly regulated by the training plan.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
Nutritionists have already scientifically proven and validated the benefits of the keto diet. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of the skin, hair and nails improves, food metabolism normalizes, metabolism improves and immunity increases.
Studies have shown that people who are overweight and high in cholesterol not only lost more than 25 kilograms on a keto diet for 56 weeks, but also significantly improved their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Caution is advised by doctors to follow a diet for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells actively feed on glucose, completely eliminating them from the diet and following a carbohydrate-free diet, the diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For the lovers of independent weight loss without a doctor's prescription, the simplest diet option - keto lifestyle.
Ketogenic diet is widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
Nutrition promotes the burning of fat in order to efficiently produce an energy source, thus contributing to the preservation and economic consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during prolonged intense exercise.
The obvious benefits of a keto diet are an improvement in general well-being, emotional mood, an influx of energy, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
A ketogenic diet is more of a healthy diet, but only healthy people can keep it to themselves. Before starting such a diet, you should consult a specialist, he will tell you what can be wrong and how best to get out of it in case of deteriorating health.
Disadvantages of the Keto Diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, a ketogenic diet is more effective, but prolonged adherence can have a variety of consequences.
The disadvantage of the keto diet is that it is not suitable for all people. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With the rapid transition from a regular diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, as well as difficulty coordinating.
If you experience the following symptoms, you should stop following a ketogenic diet:
- reduced performance and impaired concentration;
- increased fatigue;
- unpleasant pungent acetone odor from the mouth;
- difficulty digestive process;
- poor blood test;
- frequent urination;
- constant dry mouth;
- decreased appetite.
- Lack of minerals and vitamins in the body.
A high-fat diet with ketones in the blood can contain excess ammonia, causing toxic poisoning and hormonal disturbances.
During the first week of your diet, you may feel chills or fever, tiredness, mild nausea, irritability. You should drink as much water as possible. Symptoms usually disappear within a week, and the body gradually adjusts to gain energy from fat stores.
Special test strips that show ketone and blood glucose levels are used to adjust your diet.
List of allowed and prohibited foods in the keto diet
Eating this way should be taken wisely. The keto diet has a special list of allowed and forbidden foods.
First, let's look at what you can eat with a keto diet:
- You can eat all kinds of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- It is allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, salmon shell, mackerel.
- Wide range of dairy products: fat cottage cheese and yoghurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add any spices during cooking. Vegetable salad can be tasted with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for snacks.
- Of the allowed fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something else, it's pretty acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should include water, sugar-free tea, coffee, mineral water. Drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and vodka is completely absent.
- Of the vegetables, preference is given to low-carbohydrate vegetables according to the principle: what grows in the ground can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes) and what can be above ground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, green onions, salad). All fatty dishes go well with greens.
Keto diet bans:
- all types of legumes and grains - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- low-fat dairy products - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented fried milk, yoghurts, kefir, varenetto;
- sugar, sweet drinks, reconstituted juices, soda, candy;
- It is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and crackers.
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- dish made of white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, buns, pasta.
Consumption of sugar, some fruits and dried fruits should be completely ruled out.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes should pay close attention to nutrition.
Humans have contraindications to the keto diet:
- suffers from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with motor disorders;
- the presence of any chronic liver or kidney disease;
- gastrointestinal tract;
- with high cholesterol.
Ketone diet is not recommended for pregnant women or certain medications.
Keto diet: menu of the week
Nutritionists recommend using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a keto diet for the week.
- breakfast - high-fat cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with added vegetables;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with greens.
- breakfast - avocado salad with cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- in the evening - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - cottage cheese salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey with broccoli;
- For dinner, you can prepare an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs and bacon and greasy yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken stewed in sour cream sauce with vegetables;
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - sugar-free cottage cheese;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- in the evening - fried meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad with yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken meatballs with vegetables;
- for dinner - stews and greens.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fatty cottage cheese;
- for lunch - stewed veal with mushrooms;
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For afternoon snacks you can eat nuts, avocados, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the keto diet menu
The most common and simplest dish on the keto menu is scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch you can eat a portion of any meat with greens, green beans. For dinner, fish can be eaten in any way with vegetables. You can eat a handful of nuts for snacks. Portions can be both large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple, complete meals that don't require extra snacks.
Fish salad:any fatty fish is stewed or boiled, cut into pieces, added: eggs, pickles, onions, mayonnaise or 20% skateyou can add some lettuce stalks.
Chicken with bacon, stewed in a cream with mushrooms:bacon strips are fried in olive oil or sunflower oil, removed from the pan during cooking and replaced by chicken pieces, fried until golden brown for a few minutes, add: water, chopped onions, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and sauté everything else for a few minutes.
Cottage cheese salad:finely chop fresh cucumbers, onions and Chinese cabbage, add salt and spices, let stand for 10 minutes, give vegetables juice and add thick fat, cream mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many recipes for the keto diet, each of the permitted products can choose the best option for themselves.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Opt out of the keto diet
After completing the course, the amount of fat consumed should be gradually reduced in order not to endanger health and to effectively exit the keto diet. To maintain your metabolism and avoid stress, your intake of carbohydrates and protein should be gradually increased in small portions.
Fat reduces calorie intake. Vegetables, cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour products. The daily dose of carbohydrates should be between 70 and 100 grams in the first days of the diet, preferably at the same level of protein intake.
Drink plenty of water to maintain moisture.
Nutritionists' opinions on the keto diet
Nutritionists consider the ketogenic diet to be universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also to improve it for health. Properly and strictly following the diet recipes, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.
Nutritionists have written more than 30 scientific articles, and many years of research have shown that a ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet inhibits the formation of hormone warming, which causes hunger. Muscle mass remains unchanged, subcutaneous fat decreases.
Scientific studies have shown that a ketogenic diet is not a cure for certain cardiovascular diseases.
Proper nutrition is not only the key to weight loss, but also has a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet, long-lasting rich in fat and long-lasting protein and carbohydrates, supports a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, sleeping all night, and have only natural products.